There are a number of things you can do to care for coastal dune ecosystems:
- Join or establish a local coastal care group. The NZ Department of Conservation or your local council may be able to help you establish a group to work to protect and restore your coastal dunes.
- Visit and enjoy your coastal dunes but do not destroy them -remember they can be damaged by vehicle use and trampling.
- Do not disturb wildlife living among the dunes.
- If you live near a coastal dune, be careful not to allow exotic weeds to spread from your garden.
For more information about getting involved in dune conservation see*:
- Dunes Trust
- Rehabilitation of coastal foredunes in New Zealand using indigenous sand-binding species by D.O. Bergin and M.O. Kimberley (DOC, Science for Conservation 122)
*The Network is not responsible for the content of external internet sites