The New Zealand indigenous orchid flora comprises approximately 106 taxa (de Lange et al 2006) although some botanists believe there could be at least 140 taxa. Earina mucronata (left), Rimutaka Forest Park and Corybas cheesemanii (right), Waitakere.Range. Photos by Jeremy Rolfe.
For more information about orchids see*:
- New Zealand Native Orchids (website)
- Wild orchids of the lower North Island (DOC)
- Orchid habitat features and conservation (Te Ara, Encyclopedia of NZ)
- Pollination ecology of four epiphytic orchids by Carlos Lehnbach and Alastair Robertson.
- Hatch, E.D. 1951. Checklist of the New Zealand Orchids - Together with a Key to the Genera and Species, and Some Notes on Their Distribution. Tuatara: Volume 4, Issue 1, July
*The Network is not responsible for the content of external internet sites